The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) recently released their report on 2009 Internet crime statistics. As you can probably guess, there were more complaints, more losses, higher average loss per incident. IC3 is a federally funded non-profit, a joint operation between the FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C).
- Complaints received: 336,655
- Total loss: $559.7 million
- Increase from 2008 by 22.3 percent
- Median dollar loss of $575
- Average dollar loss: $1,633
Top five categories of offenses:
- Non-delivered merchandise and/or payment – 19.9%
- Identity theft – 14.1%
- Credit card fraud – 10.4%
- Auction fraud – 10.3%
- Computer fraud – 7.9%
Find lots more data and demographic information by reading the full report at IC3.